Forgive




One of the most challenging parts of life is to FORGIVE and LET GO. I wonder how many hurt people carry their pain around as a thorn on their side and live like its  normal to carry around? Like the pain of  resentment, bitterness, condemnation, guilt, etc....

We all fail, we all make mistakes, we may say our genuine apologies but when the tables are turned, when someone that you love and care for hurts you, how quick are you to forgive, let go and let God take a hold of that pain?

Several months ago someone that I love dearly hurt me, the individual said words that penetrated my inner most being, it cut me and I bled, till this day my wounded heart is still tender. We both were at a wrong, we both said things that should have not been said, we both had our valid points but I didn't  act accordingly. I was not the bigger person, I did not let the spirit lead me, instead I let my flesh take over. Granted we cannot let people abuse and mistreat us but we cannot be so quick to unleash our tongues and act out on our emotions.  Proverbs 21:23 says watch your words and hold your tongue; you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

So it began, as I prayed and vented to God, he kept reminding me about forgiving even if I felt I was in the right. He kept reminding me about the blessings he has for me but with an unforgiving heart it'll prevent me from attaining it. In fact,  Mark 11:24-26 says: For this reason I am telling you , whatever you ask for in prayer, believe (trust and be confident) that it is granted to you, and you will [get it].
And  whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone. forgive him and let it drop (leave it, let it go), in order that your Father who is in heaven may also forgive you your [own] failings and shortcomings and let them drop.  But if you do not FORGIVE, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your failings and shortcomings..

The word clearly teaches us that not forgiving hinders our faith from working.  God cant forgive our sins if we don't  forgive others. In other words, we reap what we sow. We sow mercy and we'll reap mercy; we sow judgment  and we'll reap judgment.

It took some time for me to make that step, to let go and yes, it was hard but  I  put my pride aside and with a heartfelt apology, I ask for forgiveness. I had to do my part. I had to obey. I wanted to obey God! Even if I knew the other individual would not say they were sorry, even if I knew that the individual would most likely throw my apology back at my face, I had to obey.

My request to God was to shut the lions mouth up and let no hurtful words penetrate me, and let his mighty  shield guard my heart. As I took the first step, I hoped for a good outcome but unfortunately it wasn't so. I had a choice here, I could have easily grasp on the poison of unforgiveness. Not forgiving the individual for not forgiving me...how about that?..but that is exactly what the enemy wanted me to do....

Did it hurt? of course but this time I wasn't quick to open my mouth. I had to let God take control and pray and believe that God will do what he has to do...

I know its hard to forgive the offenses of others that deeply hurt you but do you really want to carry that poison around? 
Think about what poison will do to a person, now imagine trying to live with it.
 Unforgiveness will not only hinder your spiritual well being but it'll hinder the physical body, serious diseases can develop as a result of the stress and pressure that bitterness, resentment and unforgiveness put on a person. 

So talk to God, ask him to help you. I did, and even though the outcome wasn't what I hoped for  I do feel free! So decide, don't wait too long, you will never forgive if you wait until you feel like it. Depend on him, forgiveness requires the holy spirit's help, and obey him.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What has God brought you out of?

Take hold of the promises and stop believing the lies!!

Journey